Sunday, August 30, 2009

God is watching over each one of us-Grateful for HIS promptings.


Thank-you for all your prayers, love, and support. I know God is watching over our sweet baby.

Just wanted to give you a quick update on Miss Hannah- Unfortunately we had a small set back last week. Friday morning I woke up with this strong feeling to get up to the hospital and visit Hannah, Usually I like to linger in bed as long as my 2 kids will allow and it is mid afternoon by the time I get everyone ready and actually get to the hospital. Well I felt this prompting/”Mommy Radar” get to the hospital….. So I scrambled and made some calls and arranged with my sweet visiting teacher Laurie Johnston- she took my kids spur of the moment- so I could get up to the hospital. When I got there Hannah was bundled in blankets, her little head was bright red and she was burning up. I uncovered her from the multiple blankets, and as I felt her I blurted out loudly to her nurse “ She is burning up, she has a fever!” I immediately unwrapped her and picked her up. The nurse kind of stammered and said “Oh yeah she is a little warm she was really warm earlier too, but I don’t know if I would call it a fever.” “ I wouldn’t even mark it in her chart as a fever” the nurse said.
I knew from just being a mom without a thermometer SHE HAD A FEVER!!

I then asked the nurse how Hannah had been doing otherwise, and she said “Oh Hannah is a good quiet baby so I just let her sleep.” I then asked if I could feed her. The nurse handed me a bottle and then went MIA for the rest of the time I was there. As I began to feed Hannah she spit up a big projectile vomit, and was extremely fussy, so I stripped her outfit off and tried to find her nurse to help me clean her up, and of course her nurse again was MIA. Finally another nurse came in and we got cool cloths to wipe her up and bring down her fever. I noticed her belly was swollen which was a red flag that food was NOT processing thru. So I asked that nurse to send the doctor in something was not right with my baby. He came in and was very attentive he ordered X-rays and a blood and Urine cultures. Now Hannah has 2 tubes in her one that is an IV (Pic Line) that goes directly to her heart, and if that gets infected the infection can get in her whole blood stream and cause serious problems. She also has a Foley catheter which is a tube used to drain her bladder and those can get infected easily and cause Urinary Tract Infections. I told the doctor I feel like something is wrong and she has a fever he mentioned to me that she had a fever the previous day as well. ( That is something as a mom I would like to have known my child has been running multiple fevers and yet her nurse who was still MIA failed to mention that) When Hannah’s nurse finally returned I heard another nurse mention to her that it was 12:30 and Hannah was due for some meds/care at 10 am- her nurse chuckled and said “Oh wow- I didn’t realize I am 2 hours late on meds.” I asked her why she was so late and the nurse told me it was hospital policy to let the baby sleep and not disturb them for meds. ( HOG WASH !) I told her I don’t care,. Please wake my baby and give her the meds she needs when it is the scheduled time. Any how I went home with a very uncomfortable feeling about the inattentiveness of this nurse. So I called the NICU and spoke to the charge nurse and asked her nurse be changed.

The Doctor later called me and said “Mrs.Nelson- You were right mom, Hannah does have an infection, a UTI and we are putting her on some antibiotics right away. Also her X-ray has shown that food is Not processing thru and her loops of intestines are dilated we will be putting down a tube to suction her belly out and stop her oral feedings to give her stomach a rest.” I thanked him for being so on top of things and knew Heavenly Father had prompted me as a mother. Had I not gone up to the hospital that nurse would have never reported Hannah’s fevers and No one would have known she had an infection which could have led to serious problems.

I am so grateful God watches over each and everyone of us. That evening Roy and I went up Roy and his brother gave Hannah a blessing. I found out she still had that inattentive nurse until 7pm- I was NOT happy so I talked to the charge nurse and said I do not want this woman as her nurse again and just because my daughter is a quiet, good sleeper does not mean she can be left on her own all day! I will do what ever it takes to make sure she has attentive nurses caring for her. Sometimes you have to go to battle for your kids! My mom said she had to do it for me and now that I am a mother I will do it for my kids.
Thanks for all yourcontinued prayers, your love and support-

1 comment:

Nate and Lana Hope said...

Melinda~ you are amazing! Way to go momma! There is nothing like being directed by the spirit! You will have LOTS more experiences like this. And yes, He will always help you know what is best for your children! It is so nice to know that He loves Hannah too! I hope she is doing better! We will continue to pray for her and your awesome family! Thanks for your very nice comment! It made my day! Don't be too overwhelmed, you are a great mom and things will come very naturally to you. KIDZ is a great resource to have for lots of reasons but sometimes it helps just be motivated! Hannah might have lots going on, she is an amazing blessing for your family. Keep posting updates!